Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!!! i need to buy a half shaft, jack shaft, prop shaft, or whatever the [email protected]*# you wana call the passenger side shaft that has the carrier bearing that bolts to the motor. i need one for an L-body, preferably with a good bearing and u-joint, anyway let me know what you got, thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren't specific to L body. But it does sound like you want an early one that'll fit the 525's smaller splines.
i could have sworn the L-bodies had a different part number... but Una you know your shit so no arguement there lol! i'm actuall using an auto trans.... sooo.... now i have no clue...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
How soon do you need it? I know I have a few but wont be able to double check condition till this weekend. Shipping will be pricey due to weight.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
You know, a lot of the high horsepower guys have gone back to the long passenger side half shaft because the intermediate shaft you are looking for is the weak link in the system.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know, a lot of the high horsepower guys have gone back to the long passenger side half shaft because the intermediate shaft you are looking for is the weak link in the system.

Just something to consider.
REALLY??? i have always heard the other way around!!!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i could have sworn the L-bodies had a different part number... but Una you know your shit so no arguement there lol! i'm actuall using an auto trans.... sooo.... now i have no clue...
You are correct GLH/SC equal length half shaft is definitely shorter than the other body styles. Also has the smaller spline as noted. If using auto tranny hope it's a early one as splines won't match.
There are several ways to get around this providing you can't find one. They are getting hard to find, esp. with a good hanger bearing. The mount is different too because the shaft is shorter.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are correct GLH/SC equal length half shaft is definitely shorter than the other body styles. Also has the smaller spline as noted. If using auto tranny hope it's a early one as splines won't match.
There are several ways to get around this providing you can't find one. They are getting hard to find, esp. with a good hanger bearing. The mount is different too because the shaft is shorter.
Thank you, i thought so! and dangit i was trying to use my '89 trans but i could always get an earlier trans and just swap pumps....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thank you, i thought so! and dangit i was trying to use my '89 trans but i could always get an earlier trans and just swap pumps....
The 89 tranny will work fine. By different splines I meant axle splines not converter. If you want to use equal length jack shaft with the larger (later) axle splines, you could use the longer & larger half shaft and mount. This would be 87+ (G/H/J/P/K/etc). You can then use two left hand 88-90 L-body auto axles. One for each side. You would have true equal length shafts. That is just one way to do it. There are other ways.

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
They are not shorter. Equal length halfshafts means that the axle on the passenger side needs to be the same length as on the driver's side. Think about this. L bodies have a shorter axle on the driver's side because the car is narrower. If you shorten the intermediate shaft, you'd need a LONGER axle on the passenger side.
Or said another way, G bodies use a longer than L body axle on the driver's side because the car is wider. In their equal length setup they use the same axle on the other side of the car. If they used a longer intermediate shaft, they'd need a SHORTER passenger axle.
The whole point of the intermediate shaft is to make both axles the same length. This means the engine side needs to be just as far from the tire as the transmission side. Think about this.

I used a Dodge stratus 2.4L intermediate shaft on the 2.4L in my Omni with a pair of '88 Omni driver's axles. Same physics at play, the intermediate shaft is only there to put the passenger side hole the same distance from the tire as the driver's side hole....

And yes, a full length axle is a good simple solution. It's plenty strong. The equal length setup is a marketting gimmick.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Una thats some good info there. Yea if im gona do it i want EQUAL length axles for sure! same part number and axle on the right as the left, otherwise whats the point!? now if i dont use an L-body intermediate shaft than i dont think it would work so scratch using the other shaft! and if theres really no gain in any way from using equal lengths than i wont even worry about it, im not turboing my car and im only shooting for 200hp maybe a little over so idk if it would even be necessary....

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Una,
:bang headL-bodies had shorter axles and shorter jack shaft. The turbo L-bodies used unique equal length axles (that are interchangeable side to side) along with a shorter jack shaft, along with a unique hanger bracket. Look, a shorter jack shaft obviously couldn't physically bolt up to the block properly if it was shorter, right? So why then would the turbo L-bodies use a unique hanger bracket? Perhaps because the jack shaft is a different length and another hanger bracket was needed? This is turbo L-body 101! Ageing myself here, but I knew that like 28 years ago when these cars were new.

I will be happy to prove I am correct if need be. Have you ever bothered to look up part #'s or even compare the parts in question side by side? I have. I've mixed and matched many different L-body drivetrain combos together and know what fits and what don't. It is very common knowledge to anyone that has ever owned a real unmolested GLH/SC that many parts like those mentioned in this thread don't interchange with the bigger cars.

Some of us have owned these vehicles since they were new, and know these vehicles like the back of our hand. Say the word and I'll be happy to post pics and part #'s tomorrow. If I go to the trouble to prove to you they are different, just be prepared to acknowledge your advice that you gave (not once but twice) was off the mark. I'll do the same. I'll eat some crow if wrong.

They are not shorter. Equal length halfshafts means that the axle on the passenger side needs to be the same length as on the driver's side. Think about this. L bodies have a shorter axle on the driver's side because the car is narrower. If you shorten the intermediate shaft, you'd need a LONGER axle on the passenger side.
Or said another way, G bodies use a longer than L body axle on the driver's side because the car is wider. In their equal length setup they use the same axle on the other side of the car. If they used a longer intermediate shaft, they'd need a SHORTER passenger axle.
The whole point of the intermediate shaft is to make both axles the same length. This means the engine side needs to be just as far from the tire as the transmission side. Think about this.

I used a Dodge stratus 2.4L intermediate shaft on the 2.4L in my Omni with a pair of '88 Omni driver's axles. Same physics at play, the intermediate shaft is only there to put the passenger side hole the same distance from the tire as the driver's side hole....

And yes, a full length axle is a good simple solution. It's plenty strong. The equal length setup is a marketting gimmick.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
i would just use unequal shafts my self lol
+1, that's what I said. IF you manage to find a good intermediate shaft, the first time you snap the u-joint in it, you will wish you had gone with the long axle.:D

Why would you want to put something in your car that is NS1, and no longer supported? You can buy the long passenger side shafts all day long. Nobody is making intermediate shafts anymore.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1, that's what I said. IF you manage to find a good intermediate shaft, the first time you snap the u-joint in it, you will wish you had gone with the long axle.:D

Why would you want to put something in your car that is NS1, and no longer supported? You can buy the long passenger side shafts all day long. Nobody is making intermediate shafts anymore.
True that! thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...and 4-Lbodies your right man, L-bodies use different intermediate shafts than the "bigger cars". different hanger design, different part number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts