Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the topic says, I'm looing to convert my '87 T1 into TII status while utilizing the same turbocharger.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Contact 86Shelby, I believe he still has mine. It's one of the cheap ones, but it does the job.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keith Alto said:
Send me yours.
I'll convert it real cheap.

Then I wont be able to drive my car to work :p This work will be planned out over a weekend while I'm on my days off.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
yeah I need an adapter too...but I think we all are going to have to suck it up and pay the $75 for the nice one on turbos unleashed...
-Lee

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Lee'sdaytona said:
yeah I need an adapter too...but I think we all are going to have to suck it up and pay the $75 for the nice one on turbos unleashed...
-Lee
Exactly. Once my turbo gets here anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anyone done a performance comparrison between the cheap one and the pricy one from turbos unleashed? I find it hard to believe that it makes that much of a difference with that little turbulance created by the different size but does anyone have solid back to back results that show either way? This would be a great experiment for someone with both.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i don't really think that there is much of a difference from a performace standpoint, i think the cheap one is a little smaller, and just held on by the edges of the screw heads as opposed to being drilled properly for the bolt pattern. They're basically sending you a piece of a soda can with a lip on it ;)

And as the website says, it IS only a temporary piece.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
shadowjake said:
Has anyone done a performance comparrison between the cheap one and the pricy one from turbos unleashed? I find it hard to believe that it makes that much of a difference with that little turbulance created by the different size but does anyone have solid back to back results that show either way? This would be a great experiment for someone with both.
I was wondering the same...but I don't want to take the chance of wasteing my time pulling the head and stuff, and using the cheaper one only to regret it in 6 months...so I'm probably going to go for the 75 one....If I had a welder I would attempt to make one...but theirs looks to be nicely machined and worth the money...
-Lee

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
I believe you can take a TI elbow, cut off the elbow part and weld a stub of 2" pipe in its place; this would be a trivial job for someone with access to aluminum welding equipment

if you want to minimize your downtime, buy a used TI inlet adapter and have it modded - then its a simple bolt-on;

you should be able to "clock" the turbo and do the inlet swap without ever having to remove the turbo / head from the car (depending on how small and talented your hands ar :)

PS I have a Brand New NOS TI inlet adapter I will let go for $15 shipped within US

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
It sucks that I have a Mitsubishi turbo laying around from a turbo one but with the newer intake manifold....so it has the proper inlet...I was thinking about how to cut off that pipe and rig something up...but I only have access to oxiacediline (sp?) and ark welders....And even to use them, I have to drive 45 mins to were my dad teaches a middle school hot metals class....anyway, like I keep saying, for people in my boat, its best to just bite the bullet and buy the damn thing....
-Lee

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
another alternative is to buy a TII compresor housing ; it will swap right on to your Garrett; they normally sell here in the 20-40$ range

however it would probably require you to pull the turbo to do the swap , but it may be posible to change over w/o pulling the turbo if you have a decent assortment of tools, small hands, and patience :)

I can send mine to Keith Alto in the post above, he can convert it for you, and send it to you.. little more time & shipping hassle but a simple bolt on procedure then for you

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lee'sdaytona said:
-Lee
Dont bother.
Guys there are plenty of people with screwed TO3 Garrets laying around off TII cars. The guys running Hybrids and bigger probly have 5 gallon pails full of old Garrets and mitsus...

Get the compressor housing and wheel and bolt it on.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Waramp said:
Dont bother.
Guys there are plenty of people with screwed TO3 Garrets laying around off TII cars. The guys running Hybrids and bigger probly have 5 gallon pails full of old Garrets and mitsus...

Get the compressor housing and wheel and bolt it on.
but then your playing around with the alignment of the shaft correct? Anyway, its too late; I already bought the inlet adapter...I'm worried about how hard/easy it is to change the angle of the compressor side of the turbo...seems easy but I know how stuff like that goes.... :bash: :bang head
-Lee

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Lee'sdaytona said:
but then your playing around with the alignment of the shaft correct? Anyway, its too late; I already bought the inlet adapter...I'm worried about how hard/easy it is to change the angle of the compressor side of the turbo...seems easy but I know how stuff like that goes.... :bash: :bang head
-Lee

You may need a compressor housing gasket depending on the age and condition of your turbo. I will be sure to include one in at no charge with your TI/TII adapter. Positioning is all a matter of rotating the compresor housing until it faces forward without contacting the transmission or engine.

Chris-TU

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Chris W said:
You may need a compressor housing gasket depending on the age and condition of your turbo. I will be sure to include one in at no charge with your TI/TII adapter. Positioning is all a matter of rotating the compresor housing until it faces forward without contacting the transmission or engine.

Chris-TU
Well Chris, I happily purchased this turbo from you in 2003. So you tell me...do you think i'll need it?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lee'sdaytona said:
but then your playing around with the alignment of the shaft correct?
With fine tip marker put a mark on the shaft, and wheel and nut, and be sure to index them at the same place. The nut should stop in the same place as before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts