Turbo Dodge Forums banner

SRT Trans or A523

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna do an SRT swap into my Scampage and trying to figure if the hydraulic clutch will be easier than doing the lsd in the 523. Another thing is, will the 523 hold up to 400hp? I know there were problems with the SRT trans too, synchros, but I have both transmissions already and even an extra set of low mileage T850 internals and the SRT trans has the lsd already in it.

· Registered
494 Posts
It took me less than a day to weld up some bracketry to a K-Car pedal assembly and mount the clutch cylinder. I also removed the plastic SRT line and welded steel tube to the little metal bits that go in the master/slave cyinders. Some brake hose for flexibility and steel line from inside out. You may have fitment issues with the 850 in an L-Body though...

· Registered
9,292 Posts
no lsd right now, tho i probably need one quite badly. with the 523 the obx drops right in, only needing to install Belleville washers and assemble correctly. theres a write up on it, its not as easy as it seems, but its doable. maybe Cindy one day will make me a deal on a Quaifee like she did with Cory

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I've been reading up on the OBX. I had a site saved that actually sold them with the upgrade(washers/bolts) done but I'll be darned if I can find it now. :bang head

· Registered
2,028 Posts
OK 1st off I'm not a 5spd guy(built auto here w/ my 2.4 swap), but personally I like the old school TD trans. The 1st reason is figment in an L body. Then its easier to me and one main plus is the non modular clutch IMO. The next main point is that parts for anything SRT4 related are mostly overpriced to way overpriced IMHO. So if I were to do it I would go 523 all the way since you already have it.

You can sell the t850 w/ lsd to buy an OBX. The OBX works fine in general and is good overall, but the quality control sucks as does the machining tolerances. I wrote a great info page on the other site you should read.

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if your drag racing I guess an auto is better but I like rowing. You can use a non modular in the SRT which is what I'd do. I know what you mean by overpriced but I got deals on my SRT stuff. $100. for a T850 gone through by a dealer and the extra parts were from an SRT engine and trans combo where both ended up being no good except the trans internals. Maybe I'll throw the 523 in and if she blows then go the other route.:cool:

· Registered
2,468 Posts
How did the turbo PT trans not make your list with a 3.29FD and just as strong as the srt trans. It is considered an upgrade for srt owners, as it has some tall gears for boosting.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
How did the turbo PT trans not make your list with a 3.29FD and just as strong as the srt trans. It is considered an upgrade for srt owners, as it has some tall gears for boosting.
Well I think the thing is that he already has these 2 trans, so thats why.

But yes IMO if your going through the trouble I would get the getrag PT trans instead of the t850. Although I'm not really up on that trans to know if there is a LSD available for it?

Also I think the a523 would be good, and if it gets trashed then jump to a 568 or another 523 thats fresh. I dont believe you'll have any issues though, even 400whp. but not many people have done it with the older trans's so ????????

· Banned
55 Posts
It took me less than a day to weld up some bracketry to a K-Car pedal assembly and mount the clutch cylinder. I also removed the plastic SRT line and welded steel tube to the little metal bits that go in the master/slave cyinders. Some brake hose for flexibility and steel line from inside out. You may have fitment issues with the 850 in an L-Body though...

Correction: I had to do all of the design work on it:bash:

It seems to work OK, if the engine manages to stay in:thumb:

The Stage 2 upgrade is hard on the rest of the poor Woody.....

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I hate to ask another question but what axles will fit? :confused:
I have a 92 523 trans? Will the 95-99 Neon axles fit? I see modernperformance has axles for them as well as the SRT which I don't think the SRT's will fit.
I picked up GLH spindles and plan on getting the minivan control arms.
:drinking:

· Registered
34 Posts
I would say the T-850. The tranny's are not weak, most of the srt drivers are young kids that cant drive. I have about 400 passes on my tranny and stock axles without a single problem. I did break my original 03 tranny. The non lsd diff came apart during a burnout at the track. These passes are on slicks with around 475whp.

· Registered
494 Posts
+1 on kids that can't drive. Had to put a 3rd gear synchro in the last SRT we sold. If Chrysler designed it to stand up to 300+ hp, I think it'll be strong enough in a light L-body. I'd go by which trans is easier to fit in the car though, since the 523 isn't a bad transmission either. SRT axles fit perfectly in a K-car, but the L-bodies are narrower.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.