Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
BUBBA said:
Well, it's funny you mention this. The last axle I got looked a little bit different from the previous 2. There's no way to specify which axle style I want/need at the parts store. The axle manufacturer shouldn't matter so long as it's made for the same car and the length is the same.
well you are kinda right, they ARE different. Aftermarket parts are gay. I spent 3 weeks one time to get back an axle for a spirit 2.5 sent out as a core. I had to have it 'made' at a shop. That was a long time ago, i learned my lesson. Even the mopar books aernt always right. I just give the aftermarket companies an OE number to cross and they are like that doesnt fit that car. Uhh yea it does. But yea the manufacturer DOES matter. I had a Caravan one time that spit 4 axles, didnt even make it off the lift, and come to figure they all were car axles, from Carquest (reman).

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
phantomrt said:
According to the books and the dealer, the car in question only came with one style of axle. I know that in the 80's same year, same make/model, same engine, same transmission, different style axle, which is why they usually ask what brand of axle you have. To my surprise, question was never asked when I went to get the boot for the car in question.

According to the diagram above, it has to be the ACI axle I was working with, going by the tripod-shaped inner joint housing. The original mopar inner boot is a 2-piece design. Aftermarkets are 1-piece. The boot from NAPA works fine on the passenger side because there is no transmission housing to hit.
Well if it works for you cool. You are talking to a 'dealer'. Most parts guys just say no its ns1 cause they are to retarded to find it in the catalog.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I believe I have the ACI axle (tri-pod thingy) and on the passenger side I have an SSG or saginaw axle. I've been driving it around a bit and haven't had any more issues. I compared the length to the axle I had originally removed and they were the same, so as long as my centering holds up, then I hop I'll be fine.

Does anyone make stronger aftermarket axles for our cars?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
jdawg said:
Well if it works for you cool. You are talking to a 'dealer'. Most parts guys just say no its ns1 cause they are to retarded to find it in the catalog.
Yea, I can second that. Been there many times.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
BUBBA said:
Does anyone make stronger aftermarket axles for our cars?
I was at a car show earlier this year and a kid had an L-body with an aftermarket axle in the passenger side. It had the ABS reluctor or whatever on it. I don't think it was supposed to fit in there, but it was in there and it looked pretty beefy.

Gary D was selling "severe duty" axles. Thats all I know.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I drove the car extensively today. I think I'm about to have another axle blow out. When I get on it I'm starting to feel an increasing amount of vibration. Is it possible for the driver's side axle to scrape the k-frame?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I don't think it can make contact with the K-frame unless the frame is bent up pretty hardcore.

Axles like to break as a result of engine/tranny assemblies not being centered in the engine bay properly.

·
Moparmaniac
312 Posts
How are your motor/tranny mounts? I had a minivan blow out a couple of tripod joints before I figured out that the flexing of the motor and tranny mounts was the biggest contributor to the problem.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
RampageTurbo said:
How are your motor/tranny mounts? I had a minivan blow out a couple of tripod joints before I figured out that the flexing of the motor and tranny mounts was the biggest contributor to the problem.

Well, I thought that as well. My front mount is a poly mount and looks fine. My passenger side and tranny mounts appear fine as well, although they're the stock mounts. I'm looking into rigging a dogbone on the rear of the tranny to eliminate some movement as well.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just took it out for a drive again. When I get on it and it gets up in the rpms there's a heck of a vibration. I can't think of anything else this could be other than the axle I just put in. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
napa can order new ones too

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't remember, but they've added an "email me a quote" feature on the axle page. they also carry some perf parts fopr the turbo motors, and are a dream boat for someone restoring a v8 musclecar.:D

·
Registered
369 Posts
TD willing to spend the 20.00

allmotor said:
an outer CV boot can be easily replaced ,on any td, with the correct boot for under $20 and 20min of you time. so what's the big deal? why replace the whole shaft?

oops, I forgot, its a TD so therefore $20 just might break the bank.
Hi allmotor, I am willing to spend the 20.00 SO WHAT IS THE CORRECT BOOT, todd

·
Registered
369 Posts
boot change allmotor??????

todd peterson said:
Hi allmotor, I am willing to spend the 20.00 SO WHAT IS THE CORRECT BOOT, todd
Just when is it possible to reach the member called" allmotor "to get some o f his "great advise" not by email what is the deal

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
allmotor said:
an outer CV boot can be easily replaced ,on any td, with the correct boot for under $20 and 20min of you time. so what's the big deal? why replace the whole shaft?
Many times people dont notice the rips until they have lost grease, in which case may have worn down the internals a bit or scored them.

I dont hassle with boot kits.. I got two lifetime warranty axles from autostoned in my car now. Ill let autostoned deal with the boots while they give me a new one. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
boot repair

If rip is not bad and you can catch it it b/4 it is too bad it works .I used clear GE silcone clauk on my old "dd" lasted about 2 yrs (filled it w/ grease 1st) It was 86 omni 2.2 na that only lasted 227 k before i stripped her and junked her ;-) todd ps no allmotor reply whats up with that

·
Registered
1 Posts
It just might but for the hassel, should just put on a new one. Do it right the first time, no prob's later. Plus, it's only going to get bigger and it would take you like, 20 minutes.
I registered only to reply to this ...silly comment from 2006. How do you estimate it takes ONLY 20 minutes to replace a CV boot. You must be an alien with supernatural skills or perhaps you are Superman himself! Some people are UNBELIEVABLE !!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts